Thursday, April 3, 2008

Reaffirmation makes me smile


There's been a lot happening lately that is fortifying my decision (of moving west) as a sound one. Recently, I was brought in to audition for a speaking role in the future feature film 'The Surrogates' (starring my boy Mike Cognata's idol Bruce Willis). I was one of approximately 40-50 people from the open casting call of well over 500 people who got this shot (and most were professional actors). All this despite my ghetto-ass headshot! Don't know if I got the role yet, but it felt great to even go in and audition at the biggest casting agency in Boston. How many other people do you know who can say that!? What a great transition to the LA life!

Also, just earlier today Jay-Z announced he will be signing a HUGE 360 deal with Live Nation (following suit of mega stars Madonna and U2). He resigned a few months ago as President of Def Jam because they did not have the same vision of the future. I respect Jay-Z as one of the most open-eyed businessmen in hip-hop, he knows the future isn't album sales, its the total package, live shows, merchandising, fan clubs, etc. I mention this because its almost exactly why I am moving out to Los Angeles. My end goal at the end of this long (but awesome and exciting) journey is not to be a mogul rapper, rather a music supervisor, working either independently or for a major film/TV corporation, being an A&R of sorts, finding the hottest bands and giving them their shot, fitting them into the perfect scene in a new show or movie. After working at a few record labels, I realized this is the future of not only the TV/film industry, but the music industry as well. Indie bands can all but say goodbye to using open mic nights to be discovered...get your song on The Hills and you're on the right track!

Add to all of this that a close friend of mine's cousin is moving back to Boston around the same time and has place right off Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood he may be hooking me up with. Hell yeahhhhh!

Busy weekend of DJing ahead. Will post again soon! Peace -JMC

1 comment:

LiLJeNnAxOx said...

1. You LOVE The Hills. Don't try and make it about the new music and upcoming artists they feature on the show... ;)

2. THAT PICTURE! ahh I don't have a widow's peak like that hahaha

3. If you get in a movie with Bruce Willis I am hanging out at the set all day as your "manager".